Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The first day of cycling

The camping Saturday night was great, and I awoke to a pair of loons chatting to eachother out in the river.


We started our first day of cycling on Sunday. We had a support vehicle which would be driven to a meeting point along the way. I drove the first day and biked out to meet the others cycling. Here are Lisa, Alex and Erin starting their ride.

A view of the landscape on the North Coast through the car window, very beautiful, very windy. Notice the looming clouds.


Stopped at one of many lighthouses along the way. I didnt stay out of the car for long, it was incredibly windy and pretty cold on the camera hands.



Another shot of the landscape on the north coast, facing west (meaning we were cycling away from the beatiful blue sky)

I wish that I had a photo of the cycling from the afternoon. I switched driving and cycled the remainer of the day. The flat coastal road suddenly turned inward, into the mountains and I was left facing the biggest hills I have ever cycled up. My 7 weeks in Arizona didnt help me here in the least. Never in all my active life have my legs just decided to stop working, but they did this time. Still, having walked a few metres up one of the larger hills, I got back on the chariot and finished the day. However, this climb put my knee out quite nicely, so I ended up driving the following day, it gave me a good chance to get some great photos though, so I was greatful for the opportunity. Look forward to those tomorrow!

No comments: