Thursday, July 26, 2007

Mont Albert and the end

The next morning, we were treated to the best weather we could possibly imagine for the climb up Mont Albert (except later in the afternoon, it rained, but whatever). The climb was rated as being for those in good physical condition and between 6-8hrs long:we were in for quite a ride. I got a fair number of photos, and I don't think Ill post them all here, remember you can see all my photos at www.flickr.com/photos/biting_flies, take a look!!


There were quite a few streams rushing down the sides of the mountain

Well, we'll skip right to the top of Mont Albert, since it came rather quickly in comparison to the rest of the climb back down. It was perfect weather for grabbing a few photos, with nice clouds and blue skies. The top was very rocky, and kind of tundra-like



The climb down was a whole different story. We did a loop, which was a great idea because we got to see the other side of the mountain (which, despite what any bear may say, was totally worth the climb up). We followed this path along to the edge, and then down we went.

The boardwalk through the trees was very cool, all the trees are stunted


And then came the rocks, and they would keep coming for the next 2-3 km


We were high enough that there was still snow on the peaks


This is one of my favorite photos from the trip, I think I've managed to capture gravity quite well. Thanks to Erin for climbing out on the snow!

This was a woman making her way down the slope with walking sticks. I was quite impressed at the number of people attempting this climb, by this point in the trip I was starting to question my climbing abilities (and the integrity of my knees).

For those of you non-french speaking folk, this sign says "the descent down this slope if very long and very difficult"
Pardon my French, but no shit.


Alex makes his way down

I love the colours in this one

This photo was around the bottom of the slope, from here we still had 6km to go. And here comes the rain.


The rest of the hike was rocky at times, and other times very muddy. All told, it took us 7 hrs for a 17km hike. We all felt it the next day. There are plenty of other trails around the park with lesser difficulties. It was a great place to visit, hike and camp in and I hope to go back there again.
The next day involved biking through the rest of the park and back to St Anne du Monts to pick up the other car. We packed up and started the long drive back home. By this point I was too tired to take more pictures, so Ill end the blog story here. It was an tiring experience, but one well worth the energy. If you ever get a chance to go to the Gaspe peninsula, your in for a treat. The people are friendly, the food is good, and the scenery is great (when its not raining, I think we just had bad luck with that). Thanks for reading everyone!

No comments: