Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tete D'Indienne and the Bayview Motel

We found a pretty good campground that night and settled in. Late at night I got a little warm in my bivy sac so I opened the screen. Apparently slugs like bivy sacs, or they are warmth sucks or whatever, I kept waking up with slugs crawling all over me. And you know, I actually felt bad flicking them off, considering it probably took them over an hour to get that far.

We woke up to no-rain (yet), and a nice view across the bay. The cliffs in the distance are those of Forillon national park (Cap Gaspe), where we had hiked the day before. You can actually see the lighthouse on the point. This photo can be nicely cleaned up, with all the grey removed. But I figured that would just be unrealistic.
Tina and Erin eating breakfast
We hopped on our bikes for a long day of riding. We had manged to get a little behind schedule the day before (rain and bike repairs) so we had over 160 km to ride. During my leg of the journey, it starting pouring rain. Yes, it had poured before, but this was an absolute deluge. There was thunder, and yes, lightning. I met up with Alex at a rest stop and switched riding for driving (props to him for actually starting to bike in the pouring rain, I was already soaked and resigned to stay that way). I had to strap my bike to the bike rack on the car, and it was pouring so hard, that the people working at the rest stop stared out the window the entire time in amazement of my stupidity.

The rest of the day was a drag: rain and fog and nothing to see along the coast. we decided to look for a motel to stay the night. We found a place with a great old man who gave us a super rate on two rooms, we all had showers (cold yes, but still a shower) and used our mini kitchen to cook some seafood pasta. We spent the rest of the night working on three large bottles of Milwaukee's Best.

This photo about sums up the trip. A lot of eating and drinking was done around this map.

Lisa shows off her delicious Coors light as Tina whips up some dinner

Alex and the holy glowing flyswatter hanging above the bed

Lisa 'half asleep in frog pyjamas'


It was great to have a roof over our heads and a comfy bed that night. More rain in the forcast for tomorrow, turning to sunny skies in the afternoon.

No comments: