Friday, May 4, 2007

A day of hummingbirds


So today, I sat at the feeders and stared, just like all the other birders, but at least I got some good shots. They have about 5 feeders set up at the station so there is constant activity. The species here are pretty big compared to Ontarios Ruby throated hummingbirds.

I also helped a researcher who is here monitoring hummingbird nests. We had to measure nest heights which can be upwards of 10 metres. The nests are almost impossible to find (for me at least) as they look like tiny little bee hives sitting in the crooks of pine trees. Ill have to get better at finding them though because Ill be monitoring them for the presence of females over the next few weeks, wouldnt want to screw up the data.

My apologies to those of you who are tired of mountain and bird photos, I promise I will endeavor to capture other creatures, as there are plenty of them around. If you havent yet taken a look at my Flickr page, please do, there are other photos posted there (mostly of birds and mountains). Hope you all have a good evening

No comments: