Tuesday, May 1, 2007

How much do I love flying?



Hello all, and thanks for taking a look at my blog!

As you can see by the photograph, I made it to Tucson. The landscape here is totally amazing. You know when you lay down patio stones or two railway ties, and it rains, and all the sand flows out of the cracks? Thats what all of this landscape looks like. Mud, flowing red and brown mud. Its awesome!

The flight was rather uneventful, which is good I suppose. The only bit of excitement was at US customs, when I had to go to that second room, where they leave you to sit for an hour and wonder if you' ll get a cavity search. I watched as they went around tearing tags on peoples luggage because they werent going to make their flights, or perhaps never get on a plane at all. But, I flashed my new Masters degree and got past those homeland security dumbos. Lucky you, you get to read about my trip rather than see more pictures of my apartment.

Since I hardly ever do it, I forget how much I love flying. While everyone else is fiddling with their blackberry or reading a magazine, Im gripping the seats screaming with glee (inside my head) as jet fluel explodes out the back of the plane. Nothing quite like it. Makes me want to be an astronaut. As I read this, it sounds sarcastic, but really, I love flying.

Im sorry I could not add more, but its evening time inside my own body (though its only 5pm here) and all that screaming with glee inside my own head has worn me out. I will post more tomorrow when I get to the research station. If you care to see more of the world from above, take a look at my Flickr page www.flickr.com/photos/biting_flies

Cheers and goodnight

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pics of a cavity search would have been interesting too...but i am glad that instead of that humiliating experience, you got on your flight..
i have found that even if you don;t get the window seat, if you lean over the person enough and make enough excited remarks, and in your case brandish a rather sizable camera, the leaned upon person will offer to switch...they rather do that than have you in their lap the whole time...
have fun
jen