Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I found one!

Hello all,

It was yet another busy day of washing dishes and digging rocks; there are certainly plenty of both around here. But I will share something a little more exciting with you, which was my discovery the other day when I was in the desert. The Danes (as the girls are called) came down to the desert with me, and they were lifting up rocks looking for spiders and scorpions. But there is a little known habitat where scorpions can be found: under discarded illegal immigrant backpacks. I would never have seen it had it not moved. But here it is, my first scorpion finding!! Its a Bark Scorpion, and it apparently packs quite a punch despite being the length of the tip of my thumb to the first knuckle.

Notice its tail is only slightly raised, meaning it was still a fair ways from kicking my ass.

1 comment:

Mom and Dad Speirs said...

Hi Chris
well have been following your blog every day and we are very excited. having driven through the arizona dessert on a couple of occaisions we can appreciate the desolation of the place but you have brought us some of it's intrigue and beuaty. those cactus flowers are amazing! the birds and bugs are very interesting; things we've all heard or read about but few of us have actually seen. but we hope you're being careful; some of those bugs and snakes can be nasty.
Keep the reports coming.

Love