Thursday, May 3, 2007

Lizards and carwashes

These lizards are everywhere, Im working on figuring out the species for those of you that care about that sort of thing. UPDATE: This is a Striped Plateau Lizard

My walk this morning was productive, I saw quite a few birds and there are local jays (banded of course) which are more than happy to pose for photos.

The birders around here are a bizzare bunch, apparently this is one of the best known places for birding in the US so it attracts all sorts of weirdos. I was walking up the road and two guys pulled up in a car asking if I knew where the Trogons were (similar to a parrot but not really). Four people came and sat near the hummingbird feeders for at least 5 hours, just....staring. Birders get this look in their eyes, they cant wait to see that species that they have been driving all over North America to find.

As for me, I began my volunteer duties today, setting up rooms for a big group coming in this weekend. We also got to wash the brand new van that was purchased using generous donations from a bunch of naturalists (who just happen to be visiting this weekend). Tonight Ill work on dinner.

So, thats about the gist of station life around here. Clean, Eat, Hike, Eat again. The food here is awesome by the way and theres plenty of it, so Ill have to keep my running up. And the weather here is great, it probably got up to about 32 C this afternoon, but the morning was almost cold, maybe 6 C, which is perfect for sleeping.

Wishing you all well until tomorrow

No comments: