Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Gun Country

Hello all,

Wow, two postings in one day, arent ya'll lucky? I thought I'd post some photos of a different colour. Round these parts, most people have guns for protection from animals as well as some of the illegal smuggling that goes on in this area. PD, the volunteer coordinator has some of his own, and was kind enough to offer me some lessons. Learning how to fire a rifle is something that I've wanted to learn, not to hunt animals but more as a safty measure for doing research in remote locations (ie Africa + cape buffalo). So, this morning, Freya and I went to PD's house and shot targets in his quarry. Here are a few photos, enjoy

Freya shoots a rifle while PD watches the target with binocs

Me and a semiautomatic rifle (yes, that is a target paper taped to an old fridge)



Firing a 45-70, the kickback from the gun, I beleive, will give me a nice bruise on my shoulder. If so, I will take a picture of that also as a follow up post :)


The 45-70 was the most accurate. Look at those big holes near the center, not bad for my first time.


And finally, me with an automatic handgun. Freeze desert animals!

No comments: